With just two weeks until we must use Frelon Cottage for our annual holiday, my task this is week is the change a building site into a French Holiday Cottage!
This will mean completed the decoration of the upstairs, sanding and oiling the floors, fitting the refurbished windows and doors and setting a kitchen capable of feeding us all for three weeks…..no pressure!
I decided to start on the kitchen. This has now been plastered but in the past has suffered a flash fire from the old electrics and the ceiling is blackened and covered in soot. This soot will leach through any paint so needs to be removed.
Armed with a scrubbing brush on a handle, coveralls, goggles and a mask, I set to the task in 30 degrees of heat. This was very successful but took most of the day and I ended up looking like an old fashioned chimney sweep!
Next was to seal the cleaned timbers with an aluminium based sealing primer. To my surprise this is silver and so now so is my ceiling, but at least that oppressive blackness is now more.
The reason for concentrating on the kitchen is that Sam was booked for the next day to install kitchen units, work tops and an oven and hob. All of which had been brought down over the last few visits.
After two days and much sweat, a kitchen is rising from the ashes!